Friday, November 6, 2009

The Perfect Hat in the Perfect Yarn

Let’s face it, most people, particularly women, don’t look good in hats.  Myself included.  But I live in Canada and I actually like to get out for a walk in the winter so hats aren't just an accessory but a necessity.  You can imagine my delight when I came across this pattern – Miller’s Hat by Kristen Kapur of Through the Loops.  It fits all my needs – beautiful, cables, covers the ears and looks good on.

Hat perfection.






The herringbone rib band is fun to knit and the texture looks fantastic.  Don’t be afraid that it’s going to be too tight, it stretches just enough.  And adding the simple garter stitch trim really changes the fit of the band.






Then there’s the slouchy cabled top.  More texture, lots of depth and again, great fun to knit.  I did go up one needle size for this section based on what others had said and I’m glad I did.






I will wear it pulled down in the back like in the pictures.


I didn't block it because I like the fit and I know malabrigo can really grow with wet blocking.  We'll see if I change my mind later because I am a bit of a blocking fiend.


I had forgotten what a dream Malabrigo is to knit.  How to explain the feeling - it just glides through your hands.  No itchy wool here.  This red is very hard to photograph properly though.  It's a deep red with quite a bit of variation in the colour.

Pattern:  Miller’s Hat (rav link)
Yarn:  Malabrigo (mmmm) and a tiny bit of Paton’s Merino Wool for the trim.
Mods: None, perfect as written






Love.

Although even with my new gorgeous hat, I am still not ready for this.  Nooooooooo……. 





No comments: