Monday, November 9, 2009

It all started in Soho

I finally finished the hat I've been working on for Dave.  This hat has been in the works for over a year.


Sort of.


No, I'm not a ridiculously slow knitter.  It's just that the yarn and pattern wouldn't work together.  So it has taken me over a year, 14 months actually, to finally produce something I'm happy with.  And I am happy with it.



I started with a corrugated rib, followed by the initial pattern from this chart, followed by 2 stitch stripes. It has four point double decreases and voila, great hat.  




I started with a corrugated rib, followed by the initial pattern from this chart, followed by 2 stitch stripes. It has four point double decreases and voila, favourite hat.  




Pattern:  my own



Yarn:  Koigu KPPM and Sandes Garn Lanett

Needles: 3.25 mm (my ravelry link)


The reason for the title is that I bought this yarn on our trip to New York City (INY) in the summer of 2008.  We were staying at the Soho Grand and one of my top priorities was to visit Purl Soho which was just up the road from the hotel.  Dave picked out this yarn for a hat and I knit him up a turn a square.  I will not post a link to it because I hate that hat.  It didn’t turn out right, the colours all blended together and I screwed up the top making a spiral instead of a square.  Not to mention my colour changes were horrific.  What a waste of Koigu!  Thank goodness for this hat, because now he has retired the other one and I don’t have to be embarrassed by it any more.



I will make a Turn a Square someday, but with different yarn.


2 comments:

Janean said...

the hat is AWESOME and worth the time it took! does your sweetheart love it? i learned to knit by knitting socks, but have done two hats similar to yours. guess your pattern is a "skilled" level.

Catherine @ van Breugel Design said...

Oh my gosh, that hat looks like it was hard to make. I hope he wore it lots this winter.