Friday, October 23, 2009

Just because ... everyone is pregnant at Dave's work!

Well, not everyone, but five people are expecting babies and there are under 20 people in the department. When he told me about the first one, I was so excited to have an excuse to do some baby knitting. Enter the blanket ...





This one is basically my design, inspired by many others. All told the yarn cost about $75 and I was thinking, hmmm, that's a bit steep for a co-worker.


Then ... we heard about baby #2. Okay, I can whip up another blanket, but this time I'll use cheaper yarn. Still don't have a picture of it, but it's Serenity. No problem, except although it's superwash, it HAS to be blocked to look right. Hmmm, what if the mom doesn't want to block it. So now I'm starting to doubt the whole baby blanket thing.


Then ... we heard about babies 3, 4 and 5. Yes FIVE. That's it, no blankets. So, at the last minute I'm scrambling to knit booties and hats, because these babies are on their way.


First, I knit up a pair of blue steps. This pattern is brilliant!  Using a figure eight cast on is tricky, but totally worth not having to seam up the bottom.  And half-brioche stitch ... love it.







To go with them, I used the Sweet Baby Cap pattern. 










They have been delivered to the parents and baby #1 has arrived. (it's a boy, as expected).  











More on baby #2 knitting next post ........


No comments: